Wednesday 9 September 2015

Poems Concentrated Ed:8

Daffodils –William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o’er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling leaves in glee;
A poet could not be but gay,
In such a jocund company!
I gazed and gazed but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

It’s Edition 8! So, I’m giving you something to celebrate it. The poem you’ve just read!
What’s special about it, you ask? I don’t know. How about you? No? That’s point. Something’s special only if you think about it right? Think that it’s special, and you’re done! :-D
Also, I’m sorry I can’t get you one of Rayhaan’s poem this time, I haven’t be able to contact him, mostly because he’ll be returning to school this week and because his computer’s been playing up. Next time?

Anyway, moving on. The poem. This blog. Yeah, that’s what you came here for.
The reason I decided to put this up here today is to remind you, if you’ve ever done literature or some poetry related subjects, you’ve been made to do this poem at one point or another. Why? I’m pretty sure this poem is one the best examples of implicit analysis in poem, and probably the simplest for beginner students. I’m pretty sure teachers thought so too. I pretty much hate this poem, for that silly reason. It was probably the first poem I ever did in Lit and ever analysed on ‘so said’ academic scale. So I hate it.

I’m going to keep this week’s edition short. I’ll (try to) keep to the point. This poem shows off the poets feelings under a thin layer of words, and it also gives beginners an impression of Romance poetry. In the same way, it shows how meaning can be hidden in words in a simple form. Sure it’s not the world’s best example of how this happens, but this poem is special in the form that it’s by Wordsworth, and as shown by the BBC poll, is one of the most popular poems in the UK. Even though I hate, I do respect this poem. It’s a very valuable part of British literature.
Apparently, the poem was written after Wordworth came across a ‘long belt’ of daffodils in Lake District, UK. It might be a very popular poem now, but when it first came out in his book, a poem complication (not sure if that’s word), called Poems in Two Volumes, his critics didn’t seem to like it. You might want to check out more on the Wikipedia article.

Now for the summary from the Website ‘shmoop’ (links below), and the end of this edition!

The speaker was walking around through the hills and valleys, but he felt all lonely and mopey. Suddenly, as he passed a lake, he noticed a big group of yellow daffodils waving in the breeze. This wasn't just some scattered patch of daffodils. We’re talking thousands and thousands around this particular bay. And all these flowers were dancing.
Yes, the daffodils danced, and so did the waves of the lake. But the daffodils danced better. The speaker’s loneliness was replaced by joy, but he didn't even realize what a gift he has received until later. Now, whenever he’s feeling kind of blah, he just thinks of the daffodils, and his heart is happily dancing. (http://www.shmoop.com/wandered-lonely-cloud-daffodils/summary.html)

If you enjoyed this, do make sure to follow our blog! There’s a button somewhere around this article that read ‘Follow’, click that to be on top of the latest updates to Interest Concentrated!
Thanks for reading!
You might enjoy our series of Poems Concentrated:


Check my stories:

Engrossing, A twisted short tale of irony:  http://interestconcentrated.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/engrossing.html

Check out Rayhaan's stories:

Or just check out everything in the order they came out in by clicking this:

No comments:

Post a Comment