Sunday 15 January 2017

Review: Sherlock- Season S4 E3


Was this the last Sherlock we will ever see? Is the last time Cumberbatch (no, I’m not going to make the ‘joke’) and Freeman join up as Sherlock and Watson to play the iconic duo?
I don’t know, but I hope not.

I have mixed feelings about this last episode. I recorded my thoughts as I watched and at every scene, I was like WTF? Sometimes positive, sometimes negative. There was too much twisty turny curly wurly wtf moments. It didn’t feel… serious? It didn’t feel like a real episode. It felt like we were being tortured- in all fairness that was great audience-character empathy, because (spoilers!) they were too. But I didn’t really like it. As I watched I thought to myself, “that’s pretty cheap”.

It gets boring after a while when they- the people behind Sherlock, I don’t know who to point to- try and cheaply mind-blow you with ever so obvious, why didn’t I think that stuff like (spoilers) making out that John Watson was actually shot by a tranquilizer gun. What?! Why would she, Euros do that? She’s a heartless killer, they show, and she doesn’t have the heart to kill Watson?! I DON’T SEE THE LOGIC HELP ME! Or Mycroft being stupid enough (spoilers) to not be prepared for everything that could come his way. He’s a bloody head of security at some place ISN’T HE?! So Sherlock (ok, he's Sherlock), could so easily out smart and trick him into (spoilers) revealing that they had a sister? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

However, in many ways it felt like a return, somewhat, to the old; this episode was distinctly different from Ep 1 and Ep 2, at least in my opinion.

Let’s try and talk about something good now. The cinematography is BEAUTIFUL! I loved every minute of it. The scene transitions, the camera work and the colour grading. Just what I’ve come to expect from the team behind Sherlock of course, never boring- always epic. The CGI was shit though, like really, really bad. The episode was very creepy and maintained a tone of being gory and full of horror- like Silence of the Lambs. That was, what I believe, the effect they wanted. Well, good job guys! I still like it was a bit too crazy to be believable, something which I thought Sherlock tries to be?

In this episode, Sherlock was made into a human. He always likes to think of himself as being above that, but as they show here, he bloody well isn’t. Euros does an amazing job at bringing out and making him behave like a person- a human. People like that. Me? I don’t mind. Don’t like it that much though, I like him being removed and analytical, but as Euros shows that might also be one of his biggest weaknesses.

(Spoilers) Drones, bombs, jumping out windows, pirating ships, are they really needed? The James Bond theme that people have complained about lately sticks. Do I really care- me being the action lover? Well, kind of. I like Sherlock for the technical stuff, the real life beauty, the “believability”. Why would you take that away? That’s kind of sad, that they have to turn to that sort of thing to keep Sherlock going. A bit lazy, don’t you think?

I wanted this post to be an opinion post. Not quite a review; I just wanted to talk about how I felt of it. But it kind of did become a review at the end didn't it? I really liked the other two episodes in the series and I really like this one too. But I felt like I tried to analyse this one a bit too much, and because of reading other opinion posts, developed a more critical eye. Plus, I was annoyed by the horrible CGI. How even?!

So, do I recommend this episode? Of course I do, there’s no reason to not watch it. The acting is AMAZING. The cinematography is AMAZING. The music is AMAZING. The story… it got me down at the end, thoughtful- EPIC! (Thanks 9gag for killing the mood). So all together, this episode is a win at least for me. I like it, not as much as I’d want to, but I do. I just hope they can bring the next series, whenever that ever is, back to what Sherlock series 1/2/3 were, real, believable and with the old charm.


So yeah. Watch it, but Sherlock- fix your stuff. Thanks for reading.

Thisath.

No comments:

Post a Comment