Sunday 22 January 2017

Review: Wanted (2008)

This is me, Thisath, taking on my first film review. In the film review world, I'm as ordinary as you can get; I don't watch many films- but if I do I will probably enjoy it. I don't dig too deep or expect too much and I am always easy on the creators. That said, I know a bad film from a great one when I see one, just so you can know my recommendations aren't absolutely rubbish.

So, on with the review:

The film is absolutely blastedly amazing!
( I wrote this sentence as I watched the film)

No Spoilers ahead!

I love the action, the tension and the non stop gunfights with slip second timing- absolutely unreal, but who cares? The intense, fast paced action really, really makes this film for me. I love action in any form and this film is just that. It's just really great to watch. Think of it as a quality adrenaline rush. It keeps you on edge all the time, and twists and turns in the direction of the plot every 10 minutes it seemed! Never gets old to me if executed nicely. You can't go wrong with curving a bullet, can you?

The filming is really nice, with great angles and camera trails, and the sets look absolutely fabulous! Great editing and good direction, in my opinion. I've seen better, but it was good enough to not distract me in any way as some films have. The CGI was surprisingly good, there were multiple places where I couldn't actually figure out whether it was graphics or reality.

The acting is also on point. It has a great cast, with Morgan Freeman taking up Sloane, a powerful and godly leader of a key group called the Fraternity, and James McAvoy taking up the young, desperate but 'magically'  (superhuman almost) talented young Wesley. Angelina Jolie is Fox, an elusive and very able assassin, and Thomas Kretschmann is the seeming bad guy. 

Their main goal is to be cool characters and they have achieved that. I mean, the joy of hearing a swear word through the mouth of our film god, Morgan Freeman, itself makes it up for anything bad in the film. They work very well for their parts. I was hooked from the moment I started watching. The biggest fault if I had to point one out is the lack of character development, but I'll be honest, I never really cared about character development (I saw you cringe back there)...

The music also, I loved. It was well assembled! It fitted in perfectly with the scenes and served to enhance the experience. The main score is so good, it's definitely going on my play list.

The story line isn't too complex, but it's got a big twist and so it follows the traditional action film script; I can't really complain. It is a bit ridiculous- sometimes funny- and there are many holes to the plot and basic logic, but again, you don't expect amazing on a summer blockbuster- I don't say this as a bad thing. If you want amazing story, very realistic scripts and "exquisite cinematography" you're better off with some film that won a Cannes award.

I totally recommend this film to anyone looking for an action film that isn't all that horrible. It's not that long, has a great cast, easy storyline and nonstop, almost stupidly crazy, awesome action. Great for a Friday night movie spree. I rate it a B- (which is NOT bad-an A on my scale is tough to get). So go ahead and bung this on your list and enjoy it.


Interest Concentrated (Thisath) rates this film 8/10




No comments:

Post a Comment